Re: Overview of copyright issues

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: Overview of copyright issues
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 00:36:08 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> I think having to sign paperwork (esp. having your employer sign
> something) is something that puts a big barrier up for potential
> contributors.  I am not sure it is worth the effort.

I would not want to see users in general having to sign a contributor
agreement or any such.  What does seem like a good idea is moving
existing code from 'v2 only' to 'v2 or later' (or v3 if desired),
because that takes a lot of the sting out of potential future license
upgrade decisions.  I don't know whether that needs formal paperwork or
whether emailed permission will suffice (again, allowing for the fact
that LP contributors are most likely not interested in suing over such
factors:-)