Re: Overview of copyright issues

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Overview of copyright issues
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:20:53 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Hans Aberg <address@hidden> writes
You can't simply go around and change licenses, unless you are the copyright
holder!

But you are the copyright owner of the LilyPond code.

Copyright belongs to the person who wrote the code (sometimes). There is no ONE owner of lilypond - it is spread amongst many.

Indeed I personally MIGHT own some copyright in lilypond! There's a good argument I do, it's a grey area!

That's the paperwork that is needed: Every contributor, who has until
now contributes as GPL v2only, needs to agree to change his/her contributions to GPL v2+. Unless you track down every substantial contributor (git helps in
that regard), LilyPond can't switch to GPL v2+.

Why? Is there a GNU requirement? - My cursory reading of v3 did not find anything like that. Where does this idea come from?

It's nothing to do with GNU. It's the law.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden