Re: Switching to Waf instead of SCons?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Switching to Waf instead of SCons?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 05:59:48 +0100

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 09:27:27AM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> Le samedi 12 septembre 2009 à 02:54 +0100, Graham Percival a écrit :
> > It's a recognition that I royally screwed up over the summer in
> > attempting too many big things at once.  The new website, the doc
> > rearrangment, and learning GUB.  As a result, I failed to complete
> > *any* of them during the summer.
>
> You should say *we* here... I think they weren't enough developers and
> contributors around to complete all.

Nice try, but *I* was the one who proposed it, *I* was the one to
organize it, *I* was/am the one who claims to always be concerned
with managing projects well.  What's more, there weren't people
who (seriously) offered to help and then backed out.  It really
was completely my fault.

Granted, the projects are well on their way, and (not counting
translations) might be finished by the end of Sep.  It wasn't a
*disaster*, but it was still a royal screw-up, and a good lesson
for me to remember in the future.

> > Yes, but OTOH how much work is involved in making the current
> > build system function?
>
> If by "function" you mean "be able to build the docs and web site
> starting with a clean build tree", then it's doable.

That's /all/ I want.

> > - the translations need to use WEB_TEXI2HTML_INIT and
> >   WEB_TEXI2HTML_SPLIT for general.  I've now spent an hour trying
> >   to do this to no avail... I've added "texinfo" to the
> > STEPMAKE_TEMPLATES,
>
> i.e. almost duplicating
> texinfo stepmake template contents into make/doc-i18n-root template.

well, Mao.  That was ridiculously easy.  It's working now.