Re: GUB problems with git describe

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GUB problems with git describe
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:52:44 +0100

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 07:03:52PM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> Le mercredi 23 septembre 2009 à 11:50 +0100, Graham Percival a écrit :
> > 1)  Do we care if the tag comment looks like this?
>
> I dunno, what is it supposed to look like?

I dunno, hopefully if anybody cares, they'll let me know?

Judging from the lilypond git page, the commit messages were blank
in the past, so maybe this git describe command never worked?
(but now it's failing with an error, instead of failing with a
blank message?)

I don't see the harm of having the commit number in the comment
section, so I'll just go with the --always solution (unless
anybody complains before tomorrow morning)

> The most important is that
> it's named release/2.13.4-1 (and not 0).

That might be fixed by some other stuff I did later today; I can't
remember when I ran that command.

However, this is not a pressing issue for getting .4 out.  This
goes on the pile of half a dozen other issues that might get
addressed later.

> > 2)  If not, can anybody suggest a better way of fixing the git
> > describe command-line?
>
> Yes, use a full Git repository instead of a shallow copy obtained with
> "git clone --depth".  Maybe this is not the problem, but I guess it
> might be.

GUB uses shallow clones, presumably to decrease the bandwidth
requirement?  I don't know, but I'd rather not start messing with
stuff that currently works.