Re: Autobeaming

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Autobeaming
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 08:18:38 -0700

On 1/1/10 6:13 AM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:

> "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> For varying time signatures changes could still
>> be made via \overrideTimeSignatureSettings.
>
> I consider it a grave user interface mistake to have some things work
> only with \overrideTimeSignatureSettings,  but not with
> \override timeSignatureSettings.
>
> It is already bad enough that the completely arbitrary keyword/object
> relation override/revert->grob, set/unset->context is demanded from the
> user.  Now introducing artificial phrases that use the verb "override"
> for operating on a context property is really going off the deep end.

OK, point taken.  I'll come up with a different name for the music function.
Do you have any suggestions?

How about \pushTimeSignatureSetting and \popTimeSignatureSetting?

> Why have \overrideTimeSignatureSettings when timeSignatureSettings is
> not to be associated with "override"?

In my defense, it's because timeSignatureSettings is a special case of a
context property that wants \override and \revert behavior.

Thanks,

Carl