Re: compiling confusion (task cycles)

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: compiling confusion (task cycles)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 09:37:33 -0000

Mark Polesky wrote Saturday, January 23, 2010 6:45 AM

Carl Sorensen wrote:

My cycle is to

[edit source files]
make (if needed)

You lost me there.  How will I know if `make' is needed?

If you modify any source files that have to be
compiled, essentially the c++ files and their
includes and macros in the ly and flower directories,
then you -must- run make, which will invoke the c++
compiler to compile the modified files (only) and relink all the object files.

If you only modify files which are interpreted,
like those in the scm and ly directories, then
make is not needed.

If you modify any font definitions in the mf
directory then you -must- run make clean and
make.  This will recompile everything, whether
modified or not, and takes a lot longer.

Trevor