Re: compiling confusion (task cycles)

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: compiling confusion (task cycles)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 10:48:23 +0100

Le vendredi 22 janvier 2010 à 22:45 -0800, Mark Polesky a écrit :
> I could be wrong, but it looks like `test-redo' accomplishes
> (automatically) what you're doing manually in your step "run
> the individual regression files..."  The CG says that it
> will "redo files differing from baseline".

Just look at the beginning of the output of test-redo to see whether the
target all is actually called (or no target), looking at the make
commands to recurse into subdirectories you can't miss it, and you'll be
confirmed (or not).

> > [edit source files]
> > make (if needed)
>
> You lost me there.  How will I know if `make' is needed?  I
> wonder if `test-redo' does this as well, whatever it is...

As for 'make all', it usually takes me more time to think whether I
should invoke it than invoking it without thinking.  As for 'make doc',
this is the opposite :-P

> One last question:  You use `-j' and `CPU_COUNT' for
> `make doc'.  Graham recommends using `-j' but not
> `CPU_COUNT' for `make'.  Are there any other `make' targets
> that would benefit from either or both of these?
>
> Like:
>   make -j3 test-baseline
>   make -j3 CPU_COUNT=3 check

CPU_COUNT is useful whenever lilypond-book is used and calls LilyPond on
a lot of snippets.  FWIW I almost never set this variable from the
command line but set it in local.make.

Cheers,
John