Re: How to do this correctly?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to do this correctly?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:49:13 +0100

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> On 1/28/10 7:25 AM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I think that likely the ambitus engraver would be a good
>> candidate for reimplementing as a Scheme engraver.  It would appear
>> reasonably straightforward but not trivially so, and it is one of those
>> things where augmenting the _code_ and behavior is likely to be better
>> extensible in Scheme.
>
> I think it would be difficult to implement as a Scheme engraver,
> because there need to be variables stored as part of the context that
> are modified by different event handlers.  But I could be wrong.  It
> wouldn't be the first time and is not likely to be the last.

If you aren't wrong know, I hope you'll become so in future.  I think
that all the interactions of a "standard" engraver doing nothing out of
the ordinary should be describable in terms of Scheme, even if the
actual implementation might be C++ for performance reasons.

> I haven't been able to imagine how the ambitus would (graphically)
> deal with clef changes.

Two possibilities:

Side by side (works also for ottavation):

JPEG image

Double systems (would feel strange for, say, tenor/bass clef pairings):

JPEG image