Re: markup-command and markup-command-list signatures

From: Boris Shingarov
Subject: Re: markup-command and markup-command-list signatures
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 09:12:56 -0400

On Mon, 03 May 2010 09:02:55  0200, David Kastrup  wrote:
"Boris Shingarov" <address@hidden> writes:
> Markup functions being able to return a list of stencils.
 >
 > Markup lists don't do the trick here?

No; if you look at patch 207105, you'll see what I mean.

I don't see that you stand a chance with the standard processes here.
[...]
 > Basically you'll be on your own going against the tide until you are
 > finished.  The work flows here are designed to achieve code quality by
 > making it harder for a would-be contributor to get sub-par code through,
 > not by making others participate with the work.

I guess even that assessment is overly optimistic.

The real problem here is not of process, but of fundamental
interests.  I am scratching *my* itch, which is, make
top-publication-grade work possible with Lilypond.  Lilypond did not
reach this grade before.  So this work is beneficial to the Lilypond
community in two ways: proving we can go on that territory, as well as
purely technical contributions.  Now, with technical contributions
that are easy enough to integrate back upstream, ok I can spend the
extra 30% effort to integrate; but 500% does not seem justifiable and
then we take the GPL as the guideline: here is the new code, enjoy
doing whatever you please with it.  But I am open to any suggestion
how to make it more useful to the community.

Boris