Re: Rietveld review

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Rietveld review
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 08:58:59 +0200 (CEST)

>> This is a serious question I'd like to ask you.  If you were the
>> king of LilyPond, what would you establish as the workflow?  I'd
>> really like to hear your opinion.
>
> I'd not prohibit any work flow that can be maintained with
> single-line git commands.  That includes posting patch series (using
> git-format-patch and git-mail) and private and public branches.
> There are graphical tools for dealing with git branches and commits,
> there is Emacs.  The established development environment for
> Lilypond already is a GNU/Linux machine (even if it is a virtual
> one), so the usual caveats about git workflows on Windows machines
> don't apply.

This basically boils down to give much more interested people write
access to the git repository under the premise that noone should apply
non-trivial changes to the trunk but create branches instead which can
then be merged after review and approval.  People who don't follow the
rules will lose write access.

I don't object to it; I'm even in favour of such a solution.  It's
trivial to make remote git branches appear in a local repository
clone, and you don't have to fiddle around with applying the patches
during review since you can easily switch forth and back between the
branches.

What do others think?

    Werner