Re: MetronomeMark alignment (once again)!

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: MetronomeMark alignment (once again)!
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 22:35:42 +0100

On 6 May 2010 20:16, Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm not a developer but does this mean that:
>
>  1. the "break-align" support is ready for MetronomeMark,
>  2. but that the PATCH has not been applied because MetronomeMark
>     used to align on note columns (this means the notes, right?)
>  3. and you can't make "break-align" work with alignment on notes?

The patch doesn't work properly with full-bar rests and prevents
alignment with note columns.

I posted a similar patch elsewhere which allowed a crude switch
between aligning on notes and prefatory material, but this should be
done automatically depending on where the tempo mark is placed.

> Or is it stated somewhere that tempo indications should align on
> *notes*?  Does Ted Ross' book say something about this?

I only have Gardner Read to hand, and he says the following:

"The initial letter of the term (usually a capital) customarily is
aligned over the meter signature, or—if none is present—over the first
notational element of the measure, such as noteheads, accidentals,
repeat signs, and so on."

Cheers,
Neil