MetronomeMark alignment (once again)!

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: MetronomeMark alignment (once again)!
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 21:16:31 +0200

Hi everybody!

Thanks to recent "bumps" about issue 684 "Enhancement: MetronomeMark
should support break-align-symbols":
  – on -devel by Kieren:
    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-05/msg00103.html
  – on bug- by Graham:
    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2010-05/msg00044.html

about MetronomeMark alignment, I read Neil's comment again:

  % Neil has posted a patch (attached), but:
  % "the stumbling block is how to align to note columns; I can't
  % work out how the metronome marks get attached to a paper column
  % when there's no breakable object nearby."

I'm not a developer but does this mean that:

  1. the "break-align" support is ready for MetronomeMark,
  2. but that the PATCH has not been applied because MetronomeMark
     used to align on note columns (this means the notes, right?)
  3. and you can't make "break-align" work with alignment on notes?

Because I don't see the need to align on _notes_...

I think MetronomeMark alignment would be just FINE if it actually
aligns just like a RehearsalMark (but #LEFT "self-aligned-X" instead of
#CENTER).  And, of course make it align correctly on TimeSignature if
presents (left-aligned on left side of TimeSignature), just like a

  \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #LEFT
  \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-align-symbols = #'(time-signature)
  \once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'break-align-anchor-alignment = #LEFT
  \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'font-size = #1
  \mark \markup { \bold $markp }

BTW it would also solve issue 712 "alignment of multiple \tempo marks
over `church rests' ", I think.

Or is it stated somewhere that tempo indications should align on
*notes*?  Does Ted Ross' book say something about this?

Thanks in advance,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden>