Re: temporary bug squad member needed

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: temporary bug squad member needed
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 18:12:38 +0100

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Valentin Villenave
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I would have been willing to do this if no one else had
>> stepped forward, but Patrick has - thanks Patrick.  If you
>> lose interest after a while let me know and I'll continue.
>
> Er, I believe we could use an extra pair of hands anyway. If Graham
> doesn't object, I don't see anything wrong with you temporarily
> joining the bug squad!

Indeed.  There's three major tasks:
1)  Catch up on old (missing) bug reports.  I've found three so far
(in April; May looked ok, but I wouldn't swear on it).  Do we have all
the reports from March, Feb, and Jan?  How much do we care if we lose
a few bug reports?

2)  Check+update Contributing 7 Issues.  Does this chapter reflect our
current practice?  (I haven't checked it recently, so it might be
perfect, or it might be completely bogus)

Also, my latest thinking about GOP is to phase it in gradually --
first we'll hit up people to tackle "simple tasks" (as defined on the
website "help us" page).  If a helpful user reads Contributing 7, will
they be able to do the job that we expect the Bug Squad to do?  For
that matter, do we know what we expect the Bug Squad to do?  (see
previous paragraph)

3)  When GOP starts... which might be slightly before 2.14 if we do
the "phase in" thing... it would be nice to have experienced bug squad
members mentoring the new bug squad members.  If this ends up being
me, fine, but then I'll delay GOP until I have time to deal with them.
 If Patrick and/or Trevor was willing to mentor beginning Bug Squad
people, that would lift a burden from me, and we could start GOP
sooner.