Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 90, Issue 84

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 90, Issue 84
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 08:32:21 -0400

Hi James,

> my point is that it really isn't that hard to set up even for a complete
> beginner.

I've done Java programming in Eclipse with WebObjects Frameworks and WOLips --
the setup for that was "complicated" (i.e., tedious and time-consuming), but I
was able to accomplish it on three different machines (three different OSes),
first time every time. I've installed full LaTeX installations on several
different machines and OSes; again, first time each time. In fact, I've done a
number of fairly complex installations -- database servers, web servers, and so
on -- and most have gone smoothly, where eventually (if not on the first try
every time) the installation was complete and stable.

I tried two different times to install a Lilypond build system on my [own,
well-known] machine -- with the help of the "experts" on these lists -- to no
avail.

I refuse to believe it's my incompetence alone that caused this problem.  :-p

> I use a 1.5GB VM

I wish someone had suggested a VM when I *first* started to set up the
environment -- as Carl noted, by the time someone (Graham?) suggested a VM, I
was already beyond frustrated with the huge number of hair-pulling hours I had
already spent trying to get a simple doc build to happen.

I'm happy to continue with the VM install I've started... but Graham (the
expert, AFAICT) is recommending that I wait.

Cheers,
Kieren.