Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 90, Issue 84

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 90, Issue 84
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 01:11:40 +0200

2010/5/27 William Bajzek <address@hidden>:
> On May 27, 2010, at 8:33 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>
>> Did you ever try LilyBuntu?  IIRC, you were trying to get it set up on your
>> Mac without success, and when Graham suggested you try LilyBuntu you were
>> too disgusted with the time you'd spent trying to get it going on your Mac
>> to try the LilyBuntu route.
>>
>> My experience has been that getting the build system going on GNU/Linux
>> systems is, while not trivial, certainly much more reliable than on OS/X.
>> On OS/X, we're kind of on our own.  And on Windows, it's even worse.
>>
>> But I thought that the LilyBuntu setup gave a Windows/Mac user a reasonable
>> approach to setting up a development environment.
>
> I tried LilyBuntu using "Q" as my virtual machine runner. It took about 12+
> hours to build

That's painful. It's a 10-12x factor relative to a reasonable time.
No surprise you gave up.  On a native Ubuntu installation (for
example), if something fails you can hopefully diagnose the problem
and try again dozens of times a day. Change your VM/computer/whatever.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com