Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 90, Issue 84

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 90, Issue 84
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 18:05:26 +0100

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 06:45:56PM +0200, Francisco Vila wrote:
> Here, you are not comparing *installation* of well known, widespread
> things with *compiling* lilypond, are you?

oh, FFS...!

Look, our development environment sucks.  Get over it.

Kieren has tried, twice, to get it working.  He's intelligent,
motivated, and spent a lot of time on it.  Despite many emails
from people who can compile lilypond on their own machines -- or
possibly *because* of those emails -- it didn't work.  In fact,
the second time he tried it, the problem arose because somebody
unfamiliar with osx made a well-intentioned suggestion ("hey, use
this latex installation system over here") before I managed to
chime in with "you should use *this* one, which I've used and
known it works".

Don't try claiming that he doesn't know what he's doing.  Err...
well, ok, he *doesn't* know what he's doing... but that's just
indicates a problem in the CG.  Let me rephase that: don't try to
claim that he's stupid, or didn't try hard, or didn't ask for
help.  None of those are true.

If, in some small corner of your heart, you *still* think that
he's a bloody idiot who doesn't care about open-source and didn't
follow advice properly, then let me re-iterate: I, Graham
Percival[1], state that our development environment sucks.  I used
OSX as my primary machine for 4 years, and never ONCE managed to
compile lilypond on it.  (I did, however, manage to compile the
docs, which is why I knew that the macports latex package would
work but had no confidence in the independent mactex package)

[1] you're free to consider me a bloody idiot who doesn't follow
advice properly, but I don't think you can claim that I don't care
about open-source.

Look, discussion is OVER.  Kieren has decided to spend up to 2
hours tomorrow trying lilybuntu.  If that fails, he'll wait until
I've had a chance to look over things and claim that it'll work;
at that time, he'll make one more 2-hour attempt.

Thank you for participating, now everybody go home and get drunk
or something.