Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 90, Issue 84

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: lilypond-devel Digest, Vol 90, Issue 84
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 14:07:57 -0400

Hi Francisco:

> Here, you are not comparing *installation* of well known,
> widespread things with *compiling* lilypond, are you?

To be clear:

   1. I have installed many other build systems -- usually on my own (i.e.,
with only written/electronic documentation and web links, but no live
"mentors") -- and subsequently used them to compile their target(s). I have
never failed completely (which is to say, given up), and only on a very few
occasions did it even take a second attempt.

   2. I have twice tried to install a Lilypond build system that would
successfully compile Lilypond and its documentation -- with the help of live
"experts" on these lists -- and failed both times.

In other words, being competent enough to do #1 does not translate into being
competent enough to do #2. I'm simply pointing out that the tools -- including
my own computer, of course -- are more likely to blame than "user error", i.e.,
it's not "easy". [Hopefully, the VM thing is very different!]

Cheers,
Kieren.