Re: Add independent control of thickness and offset for underline markup

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Add independent control of thickness and offset for underline markup (issue1347041)
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 12:10:02 -0400

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the comments!
[Should I be somehow commenting on codereview instead of here?]

> I don't think we can remove the link between 'line-thickness and
> underline offset, since it should scale based on staff-size.  At small
> staff-sizes, 'line-thickness gets progressively larger, which matches
> the thicker underline with a slightly bigger gap.

OK. But I want two things out of this patch:
    1. Control of offset independent of thickness, even if offset is defined as
a "multiple of 'line-thickness" (that I can adjust).
    2. An easy way to globally set the property (i.e., not just a direct
\override of the \underline command).

> What you could do instead is leave out the default value for offset and
> keep the existing behaviour unless the user sets offset (if it's unset,
> it will return #f).

I tried
  #:properties ((thickness 1))
and it failed.

> http://codereview.appspot.com/1347041/diff/1/2#newcode280
> scm/define-markup-commands.scm:280: #:properties ((thickness 1) (offset
> 0.5))
> I think this default for offset is too large.

This is precisely why we need the offset property...  ;)

> http://codereview.appspot.com/1347041/diff/1/2#newcode301
> scm/define-markup-commands.scm:301: (y (* -1 offset))
> Simpler:
>
> (- offset)

Thanks!

Once these points are addressed, how do I submit a revision?

Cheers,
Kieren.