Re: source code on windows

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: source code on windows
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:03:40 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Saturday, September 11, 2010 8:36 PM

Does anybody deal with lilypond source code on windows itself, instead
of lilybuntu?  Trevor?

I do _all_ my doc work on Windows, with a Windows
git repository.  I have ubuntu available in a
VM, but it causes a significant slow-down of all
my normal work when it's loaded due to increased
paging (I have 3 Gb RAM, the maximum available in
my laptop), so I try to avoid using it.  In fact
I only use it for code development, and I've done
none of that for several months.

I'm looking at CG 2, and I'm not certain it makes sense to keep the "git on windows" stuff. If somebody can't build lilypond, then the source code is of limited use, and lilybuntu seems to be working well
for people.  So I'm thinking about removing all instructions for
windows development, and instead directing people to CG 1.3 Lilybuntu.

Thoughts?

It is certainly of limited use but, with the script
I provided and Carl improved and installed, it is
very easy to do doc work on Windows.  For someone
totally unfamiliar with Unix this would be an
easier way in.

Trevor