Re: Lilypond's internal pitch representation and microtonal notation

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Lilypond's internal pitch representation and microtonal notation
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:23:22 +0200

On 20 Sep 2010, at 12:08, Joseph Wakeling wrote:

Hence why I say that the issue of effective microtonal support still
requires action at the code level, and is not simply a matter of better
documentation ... :-(

I made a post about this issue last week, but there were no responses.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-09/ msg00138.html

I saw the post but was not sure quite how to interpret it.

I expected someone to ask for details. In the past, I discussed part of it with Graham Breed, who did some LilyPond microtonal implementation, but perhaps he is not working on it anymore.

Could you
write up some more extensive notes on the algorithm and its aims and
possibilities?

If you want, I can explain it - the algorithm itself is very simple. Writing up it in math style will probably not make it more accessible.

I did wonder if the fact it was Haskell code was part of the reason for the lack of response. I have a lot of admiration for Haskell but I can
see there being problems extending Lilypond with yet another language.

It should not be difficult to translate into Scheme - no specific Haskell features are used, only better syntax and type system to help structuring the code. It is just a page.

The difficulty is to figure out to put it into LilyPond.