Re: Files for the first phase of Czech translation of documentation

From: Pavel Fric
Subject: Re: Files for the first phase of Czech translation of documentation
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:21:21 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

thanks for answer, so the e-mail adress, I sent the files is good for
translation issues and I will send the answers there, not directly to
developers. :-)
I think, that I am the only one in this moment, who cares about bringing
LilyPond to Czech language. I´ve already worked on lilypond.po hosted on
Translation Project, but probably due to unchanged header - it tells, that it
is LilyPond in version 1.6 or so - also it is not loaded by LilyPond to
project, because of this misunderstanding (the file was completed to current
version just before one year. Then I am working regularly on Frescobaldi for
abou one year and half.

> Are you sure the German template is up to date?  It's good to see what
> other translations do to give you some idea by examples, but it's better
> to start from docs in English, using template generation tools explained
> in the Contributors' Guide, even if these are not perfect.  As the docs
> maintenance and development is English-speaking-centric, and it would be
> very hard to change this development model, I'd rather not take files
> from a language other than English, or if I did I would carefully check
> that the translation was up-to-date at last release on
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/web/translated.html

Yes, I think. and when I am not much skilled in texinfo structure and commands,
I am still not much experienced, I can, using German files, just focus on
translation.

> > @ref{Textový vstup}
> > @unnumberedsec Textový vstup
> > @translationof Text input
>
> I guess you mean "@node Textový vstup" instead of "@ref{Textový vstup}"
> here.

Yes, it is. Thanks for manual how to deal with it. I am interested in all, what
you can offer. If I understand, I only have to add "nominative" on proper
places and two commas. The I ask you for manual how to deal with definitions in
"macro" file.

> There is a way to respect cases by defining a value of the third
> argument of @ref command as the text you'd like to make appear, whereas
> the first argument to @ref command should always be the exact node name
> so that a dummy computer program can find where the node was defined,
> that is you should write @ref commands like (note the two commas)
>
> @ref{NODE_NAME_AS_DEFINED,,NODE_NAME_AS_IT_SHOULD_READ}
>
> e.g. in the example you give
>
> @ref{Textový vstup,,Textovém vstupu}
>
> This way of doing things means extra work for you, and it's only up to
> you (and other Czech translators for LilyPond if any) to decide whether
> to use correct cases to node names in cross-references.  If you decide
> to do so, macros used for cross-references to other LilyPond manuals
> (@ruser @rlearning etc.) may need this kind of treatment as well, I'll
> explain you how in case you have decided to use correct cases.

Greetings, Pavel Fric