Re: Doc: NR 1.5.2: Clarify voice order; \shiftOn etc. (issue2226045)

From: Carl . D . Sorensen
Subject: Re: Doc: NR 1.5.2: Clarify voice order; \shiftOn etc. (issue2226045)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 17:02:38 +0000

On 2010/09/22 16:49:00, Mark Polesky wrote:
On 2010/09/22 13:05:01, Carl wrote:
> Have you experimented with (or do you have any examples
> involving) voices that cross (i.e. you have voices with one
> order at a given time, but a different order at the next
> time)?

I think it's possible to exhaust the reasonable expectations
of this automatic layout functionality.  If you enter your
voices in the correct order, but the voices end up crossing
each other, then you have what I like to call a "Real music
example" and you may have to override the defaults with
higher levels of \shiftOn*.

OK -- that's fine.

> While you're working on this, I've got a question.
>
> Is there any limit to the number of automatically-instantiated
> voices now (perhaps voice 8, which corresponds to \shiftOnnn)?

I *think* voices three and above use \shiftOn by default.  I
*think* the other levels of \shiftOn* are for the user to
move things beyond the already shifted defaults, and I *think*
that they're never activated by default.

By the way, with 10 voices the output still looks great:

OK, then let's just get rid of the snippet that shows how to add an
extra voice, since that's not necessary any more.

Thanks,

Carl

http://codereview.appspot.com/2226045/