Re: stupid question

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: stupid question
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 14:25:41 +0100

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 07:39:11AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Jean-Charles Malahieude <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Le 22/09/2010 22:10, Graham Percival disait :
> >>
> >> I was a bit inaccurate in that commit message -- I should have blamed
> >> whoever merged the lilypond/translation branch, not necessarily the
> >> translator.  I don't expect translators to know (or care) about the
> >> odd aspects of our build system, but I *do* expect the translator to
> >> know about this (at least, after I've yelled at him a few times).
>
> I consider this a typo.  The last "translator" should be "translation
> master" or something.  The person doing the merges, I should guess.
>
> Otherwise it would not make sense.

Argh, sorry.  Yes, I made the same mistake twice.  :(

I'm generally ok at typing, but I'm absolutely terrible at this
when I'm speaking.  It gets quite confusing for people in the lab
here when I talk about violin synthesis and the friction
interaction between the violin bow and the bow, and how the
string-bridge position changes the force of that interaction.
(double-sic)

> Sounds to me like the above typo gives the wrong impression and
> discourages you from doing _your_ work.  Unless you _are_ the translator
> master.

Absolutely!  My apologies again.  To clarify -- and I'm going to
re-read this message twice before sending it:

- the Translation Meister is responsible for merging
  lilypond/translations into master.

- if the Translation Meister wants to delegate this task, that's
  fine, but as far as I'm concerned, he still has overall
  responsibility.

- the Translation Meister should watch out for the "new file in
  a directory" thing.  I've written about at least twice in the
  past 18 months on -devel; if it's not clear (quite possible),
  he should ask for more information.

  It might be worth adding this material to the Contributor's
  Guide -- if I may be so modest, I'll point out
    Contributor 10.2 Minor release checklist
  as a good example.  I stare at that page each time I make
  a release, and I've spent around 15 commit just making minor
  tweaks to that page to distill it into the shortest, clearest
  set of steps I could.  Not because anybody else will be reading
  that page, but just to make it easier for *me* to read.

- the Translation Meister is current Francisco, but if somebody
  else wants to do it and Francisco doesn't mind, by all means
  change it (this position is listed in:
    Documentation/contributor/administration.itexi
      section Meisters )