Re: renaming "vertical spacing inside systems" props

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: renaming "vertical spacing inside systems" props
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 00:05:58 +0100

Mark Polesky wrote Friday, October 29, 2010 11:27 PM

Here are my proposals for renaming the properties related to
"Vertical spacing inside systems".

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I've thought about it, and I think I slightly favor the term
"loose line" over "non-staff line"; the word "loose" is
distinctive and much less likely to get tangled up with the
word "staff" (in the user's head, that is).

On the other hand, "nonstaff-staff-spacing" may be more
intuitive than "loose-staff-spacing".  But if we call the
property "nonstaff-staff-spacing", I'd want to replace all
references to "loose lines" with "non-staff lines" (or maybe
"nonstaff lines", without the hyphen?).

I dislike "loose lines".  It doesn't immediately make me think,
Ah, yes, that means my lyrics.  Also loose-staff-spacing sounds
too much like something that gives staves a loose spacing
(rather than a tight spacing) to anyone coming to this for the first time. "Nonstaff lines" is definitely better, I think,
and, yes, without the hyphen for consistency with the names of
the spacing properties.
Lastly, one property resists the "item1-item2-spacing" name
format: currently named 'between-staff-spacing, it controls
the spacing between staves within a staffgroup.  I don't
like the current name because it sounds like it controls the
spacing between ungrouped staves too, but it doesn't.  I'm
proposing 'inside-staffgroup-spacing, which is clearer (I
think) but not consistent with the "item1-item2-spacing"
format.

groupstaff-groupstaff-spacing ?
groupedstaff-groupedstaff-spacing ?
But I'm not unhappy with inside-staffgroup-spacing.

BTW, what happens to nonstaff lines within staff groups?

Trevor