Re: renaming "vertical spacing inside systems" props

From: Keith E OHara
Subject: Re: renaming "vertical spacing inside systems" props
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 14:00:52 -0700

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 21:04:06 -0700, <address@hidden> wrote:

Mark Polesky wrote Friday, October 29, 2010 11:27 PM

I've thought about it, and I think I slightly favor the term
"loose line" over "non-staff line"

[...]
 Also loose-staff-spacing sounds
too much like something that gives staves a loose spacing
(rather than a tight spacing) to anyone coming to this for the
first time.

Thanks for doing this, Mark.

It seems you want a one-word _noun_, to refer to either a line of lyrics and a
line of dynamics, in the limited context of its placement relative to the
neighboring staffs, and similar lines of lyrics/dynamics.

Simply 'line' ?

Remember the user cannot see why they are called "loose"  -- maybe indirectly
in the way these lines are placed in a second step after the staff lines, but the docs
about that second step do not use the word 'loose'.

The visible difference from regular staffs is that lyrics/dynamics have an
affinity.  They are attached, in their spacing behavior, to one a parent staff,
or centered between two parent staffs, and negotiate with their siblings for
space.
-
Keith