Re: PATCHES: 48-hour notice for note spacing and negative frets

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: PATCHES: 48-hour notice for note spacing and negative frets
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 19:13:01 +0000

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 07:04:03PM +0000, Bernard Hurley wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 07:42:21PM +0100, Xavier Scheuer wrote:
> > On 3 February 2011 16:36, Mike Solomon <address@hidden> wrote:
> > >
> > > I have scanned examples from Boulez's Third Piano Sonata, Elliot Carter's
> > > Night Fantasies, Elliot Carter's Sonata, and Stockhausen's Klavierstücke
> > > II
> > > & IV.  However, I don't want to go to jail for sending out a link to the
> > > LilyPond devel list where these scans are posted.  How should I go about
> > > sharing it w/ all interested parties & staying w/in the realm of what's
> > > legal @ the same time?
> >
> > I could be considered as "small quotation" (or "fair use" in American law),
> > isn't it?

It might be considered as such.  In America.  Do we only have
Americans reading this email list?

> I assume the examples are fairly small, less than a page. What I
> would do is to make them as small as possible for illustrating
> your point. Then I can't see how this can be anything other than
> "fair use". As a courtesy it might be worth writing to the
> publishers and telling them what you are doing. It's a long time
> since I worked for a music publisher, but I can't see them
> having any objections. You can also butter them up a bit by
> saying they are "examples of best practice"

We're not putting these examples on the mailing list.  We're
certainly not putting them on our website or documentation.

One academic is making a tiny scan of some notation, in order to
send them privately to other academics (I believe that everybody
who is seriously involved in this discussion has a PhD!  -- note
that I am not seriously involved).  These are not publicly
accessible.

You do not need to write to music publishers.  Just send the
maoing 50kb jpg file to Han-Wen, Werner, Reinhold, Keith, and
whoever is involved in writing/reviewing code for this notation
feature which you are working on.