Re: PATCHES: 48-hour notice for note spacing and negative frets

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: PATCHES: 48-hour notice for note spacing and negative frets
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 21:26:49 -0500

On Feb 2, 2011, at 12:43 PM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:

Not quite on this list, but I would like to draw people's attention to:
some kind of beaming work
http://codereview.appspot.com/4022045

I don't know how this interacts (if at all) with Han-Wen's recent work
on beams.  There is nothing obviously wrong with Mike's patch.

As I discussed on-list, I think Mike's patch still is not the right
way to go, and my patch series is for offering an alternative.

Hey all,

The most recent patch set only has a single pass through beam quanting.  I don't believe it adds significant overhead to a score's compile time, although I'd need someone to do some benchmarking to verify that.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4022045

Han-Wen: could you summarize again your main objections to this approach?  I want to make sure it's going in the right direction, and if it's not, I can certainly rebase off of your most recent patch and work from there.  I know that my code is less compact than what you came up with, but I couldn't figure out a way to pair it down and still deal with all of the eventualities that precipitate from the various potential beam collisions that arise in a score.

In any event, given the new beam scoring code, I'm going to be rewriting chunks of this patch.  Keep your eyes to the skies for a new patch set in 24ish hours...

Cheers,
MS