Re: Lyric alignment

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Lyric alignment
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 08:27:35 -0000

Carl Sorensen wrote Saturday, February 12, 2011 3:39 PM

On 2/12/11 6:39 AM, "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> wrote:

and go to "Spacing of non-staff lines" and then mod that a bit, we get the attached file (it's a bit long for in-line, IMO). This produces the output attached. Don't think that's what we should get. Does the team think this
is a bug replacing 1161?

Well, I don't think this is a code bug.  It's a documentation (or
understanding) bug.

Not sure.  Seems to me that calling this CENTER is the
problem.  If

CENTER doesn't (and shouldn't) mean to center lyrics between staves

then why call it CENTER?  It's going to remain misleading,
especially as the NR /says/ that it centers lyrics.

Carl gave a good explanation of what CENTER does:

CENTER means "look up to the next line -- if it's a
staff, use inter-staff-spacing, if it's a non-staff
(e.g. lyrics) use inter-loose-line-spacing.  Then
look down to the next line -- if it's a staff, use
inter-staff-spacing, if it's a non-staff use
inter-loose-line-spacing".

I think #'staff-affinity = #BOTH fits nicely with
#UP and #DOWN and would be a better description of this
action.  That would need a code change, albeit a trivial
one.

Trevor