Re: guile 2.0.0 out

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: guile 2.0.0 out
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 20:50:43 +0000

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 09:19:01PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I don't see a need to support both guile 1.8.x and guile 2.0.x at the
> > same time -- as far as I'm concerned, we can drop any guile-1.x-isms
> > as soon as 2.15 begins.
>
> As long as guile is not included with Lilypond, supporting the last
> stable version in reasonably up-to-date operating system distributions
> is definitely going to help maintain a healthy developer base.

Hence my absolute insistance on having the required version of
guile 2.x in lilydev.  Admittedly, I overlooked people using linux
natively.  My initial guess is that such people (including myself)
are more than capable of compiling and install guile from source,
but this is certainly a point to consider when the dev/guile
branch is actually ready for merging.

I know that David already knows this, but for the benefit of
anybody else reading this email who might be confused: lilypond
GUB includes guile, so we're not talking about people who want to
test 2.15.  This only affects people wanting to compile lilypond
from source, i.e. developers and contributors.