Re: Issue 1278: Arrow notation for quarter-tones. (issue3789044)

From: percival . music . ca
Subject: Re: Issue 1278: Arrow notation for quarter-tones. (issue3789044)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 05:58:28 +0000

On 2011/02/18 05:43:36, Keith wrote:
The extra complication, for which the care was
given, makes the system more difficult to learn, understand, use, and
repair.

Unfortunately, I believe that the extra complication is necessary.  The
commit message didn't clarify the background or our previous discussions
on the topic, but it boils down to composers wanting to distinguish
between cis+1/4 and cisis-1/4

On a personal note, I am completely uninterested in microtonal notation;
I don't even care about the difference between equal temperament and
just intonation.  But on a "professional" note, we have heard repeated
requests from composers "in the field" -- including people who make a
living from composing and/or music academia -- so I consider it a very
valid request.  Given the multiple long discussions about the topic, I
don't think we can dismiss it.

NB: most requests were for *arbitrary* tunings, such as 31-tone or IIRC
even 78-tone.  As far as I understand microtonal composers and their
academic circles, mere quarter-tones is far too mainstream to even
consider.  :)

http://codereview.appspot.com/3789044/