Re: Issue 1278: Arrow notation for quarter-tones. (issue3789044)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Issue 1278: Arrow notation for quarter-tones. (issue3789044)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 08:18:45 -0200

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 3:43 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> I advise against changing the internal representation of pitches.

I am rather skeptic against patches that would want to do this, but
from a casual glance, it looks thorough at least, and I understand
that the current system is too limited still.  What makes me
uncomfortable that this looks like a non-backward compatible change.

Why not use a sequence of Rationals (rather than ints) to represent
the alteration?  You could maintain the current system in a backward
compatible way (using 1/2 and 1/4 as the only element in the
alteration sequence) or have a system with tuples: +1/2 for the first
element and +1/4 for the second element.