Re: a present for Graham

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: a present for Graham
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 14:32:45 +0100

2011/2/19 Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>:
> 2011/2/18 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
>
>> I expected that resulting file build/out/test-results/index.html,
>> containing comparisons between unmodified and modified regtests, will
>> show differencies in the 67 regtests i changed. But surprisingly it
>> shows many more differencies in files i didn't change - even in ones
>> beginning with letter D and above. I have no idea why this happened...
>> I attach the patch file. It looks normal, shows changes to 67 files.
>
> What kind of changes did you see?

It shows differencies in ouput. Some of them are big - like an
additional line break - and some are so small that i'm not sure what
changed at all.
Here is a screenshot, 550kB (a picture is worth more than a thousand
words :P): http://www.sendspace.com/file/pk46i4
Basically, the comparison at build/out/test-results/index.html is full
of situations like 3rd and 4th in the attachment
(tabulature-grace-notes and palm-mute) - lots of green shadow, but
apparently nothing moved.

There are also some comparisons with text-only output (i suppose it's
about performance, as you said) - like this:

6.864924

time    : 0
cells   : 2420945
/home/janek/lilypond-git/input/regression/lyrics-bar.profile

time    :        0 (0.000)
cells   :  4026817 (-0.249)
/home/janek/lilypond-git/input/regression/lyrics-bar.profile

Any ideas?

PS Graham, i'm sorry if you felt offended by that kiss thing - i meant
it as a joke only, referring to what you said to Owen Tuz at frogs
list:

2010/11/15 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Owen Tuz <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi -
>>   Having talked about C++ and Scheme, I went and picked one in tcl/tk
>> instead. The original issue is here:
>> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1275
>
> I could kiss you.  I've been hoping for months -- actually, literally
> years plural -- that somebody would look through the tracker, pick an
> existing "frog" problem, and send in a patch without needing to
> discuss it for 5 hours.  You have just made me very, very happy.  :)
> (and if you haven't noticed already, that's not an easy thing to do!)

:(