Re: a present for Graham

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: a present for Graham
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 12:05:13 -0200

2011/2/19 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
> 2011/2/19 Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>:
>> 2011/2/17 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I wanted to make Graham happy, so looked through the tracker, picked
>>> an existing frog issue and made a patch without discussing it for 5
>>> hours.
>>> :)
>>> It's issue 1489 (make regtests end on a barline).
>>> I think it doesn't make sense to post it on Rietveld...
>>> It's here (112 kB, too big for an attachment):
>>> http://www.sendspace.com/file/j3yq1e
>>

>> I also updated the issue.  In summary, I don't think the issue is a
>> problem, and I think fixing it is contraproductive.
>
> I'm not sure if i made myself clear. *I've already prepared* a
> modification for 250 out of 262 regtests that didn't end on a barline.
> So i'd prefer not to see several hour of my work wasted...

Yes, that's why I feel a bit sad about having to write that, and I
know you will feel angry and sad for it, my apologies.   That said, if
we would have all regtests ending in a barline for some silly reason,
I would probably propose a frogs issue to remove all of the redundant
notes.

Also, the change introduces all kinds of false diffs if the fragment
is close to a single line of length.

I'm not sure of the exact reasoning behind 'frogs' issues, but before
they should be packaged up to be small, so nobody spends many hours on
them. Also, could we dispense on esthetic changes on developer-only
parts (like the regtest) ?