Re: transition between full-length and shortened stems - please discuss

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: transition between full-length and shortened stems - please discuss
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 15:51:25 +0100

2011/2/20 Graham Percival <address@hidden>

> On 2/13/11, Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > This is the first part of a series of changes to the stems and flags.
> > The suggested change is small, but in my opinion important.
>
> Thanks you for creating such an excellent report on the matter.  You
> took the time to create two alternative solutions, with pdfs to
> illustrate their behaviour, full lilypond source code so that others
> could easily test your patches (and presumably fiddle with the
> constants to experiment if they wished, etc.  I'm very sorry that I
> missed this the first time around -- this was an absolutely
> outstanding preparation for a well-reasoned discussion.

Thank you for such kind words! They are encouraging :)

> As for the specifics... I'm afraid to say that I have no opinion on
> the matter.  It might sound very strange to hear this, but I really
> have no "eye" for typography or engraving.

Thats indeed surprising!

> At first I thought that
> you had mistakenly used the same pdf in both directories -- in fact,
> even when I lined up the BWM 861 pdfs exactly and alt-tab-switched
> between the two, it still took me about 20 seconds to notice the
> differences!

The differencies between the two solutions are indeed hard to spot (in
fact, when working on this i alt-tab-switched and used 200% (or
greater) zoom all the time, and that's on my 24" screen).
However i hope that the difference between current Lily output and any
of the suggested solutions is fairly visible, especially in case of {
\clef G \stemUp d'' } and { \clef G b' }.
I'm totally fine if majorirty says that either solution is good for
them - what is important to me is changing current behaviour to a
better one.

> I see my role in the developer community as a "manager" -- somebody
> who helps the actual workers do their jobs.  I must admit that I have
> failed spectacularly with Janek in the past week, and I shall write
> more about that later tonight... but I've got it in the system now,
> and I will make a fuss in 24 hours if nobody starts discussing this.
>
> Janek - you have my full confidence on this matter, and FWIW, I would
> be happy pushing whichever patch you personally think is better.
> (hopefully this will prompt other people to complain, and therefore
> discuss the options)

ok, let's wait.

cheers,
Janek