Re: transition between full-length and shortened stems - please discuss

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: transition between full-length and shortened stems - please discuss
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 18:54:53 +0100

2011/2/21 Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>:
> Can you make your code be less hardcoded?  I propose something like:
>
>  factor = (1+abs(hp[dir])) / (2*staff_radius + 1)
>  shorten *= min(factor, 1.0)

What staff_radius is? I tried to find an explanation, but to no avail...

> this way, it will work with other types of staves too. If you want to
> be extra fancy, you could do
>
>  factor = pow(factor, shorten_concavity)
>
> for some number != 1 to tune shape of the transition.

I think it's not necassary.
Btw, i think that using a power here wouldn't give good results. If we
really wanted to control the shape of the transition, we would need
some other function (perhaps a little sophisticated one).

2011/2/21 Bernard Hurley <address@hidden>:
> It took me a loooong time see any difference between the two alternatives.
> Having done so, I think I prefer alternative 1. Either would be in
> improvement over current behaviour.

:)
I also prefer 1.

thanks,