contributors / mentors

From: Graham Percival
Subject: contributors / mentors
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 04:16:50 +0000

Hi all,

A year ago, I added a section to the CG about having mentors for contributors:
  http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/mentors

Sadly, it didn't take off -- I took on two doc contributors (just like
the Grand Documentation Project, albeit on a small scale), but there
were no volunteers on the "programming" side of things (other than
Carl, who did all new Frogs).

Could we give this another go?  I'm particularly looking at the newest
"generation" of developers -- James, Mike, Keith, Pal, Janek, etc.
Other than James, you guys didn't have a dedicated mentor... but
wouldn't it have been nice?  Somebody who could guide you through our
sometimes labyrinthine development process, somebody to commiserate
with about the lack of reviews and who would go raise a fuss on your
behalf, somebody to glance over a patch privately and hopefully catch
any embarrassing mistakes before you sent it to lilypond-devel?

If you think that a mentor would have helped *you*, then please
consider volunteering to be a mentor to others.  I sure could have
used a mentor when I began doc work 8 years ago, and certainly could
have used one when I began doing build system stuff two years ago!
I'm not asking for a lifelong bond here; most new contributors will
only need a mentor for the first two or three months.