Re: contributors / mentors

From: Graham Breed
Subject: Re: contributors / mentors
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 15:46:32 +0400

On 22 February 2011 15:27, Benkő Pál <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> as a start I'd take Graham Breed's microtonal thingy:
>>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-02/msg00567.html
>>
>> I don't recommend that; Felipe has been working on microtonal
>> notation support.  See:
>> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1278
>> and the discussion and patch links from that issue.
>
> I know; I want to check whether it addresses Graham's
> problem (I fear not, but I'll see; I have to catch up with
> both issues).

That patch addresses it in that it gives a new mechanism that could be
used to define meantone temperaments.  But it's currently being
re-written to bring back rational alterations, so who knows where
it'll end up?

> both of these scratch nicely my itch to get a decent
> meantone or Pythagorean MIDI, so I'd like to help;
> at least to make sure Graham's problem doesn't get lost.

Meantone and Pythagorean MIDI work.  You have my files for that.  The
only problem is that a conventional key signature breaks the MIDI
production, and causes the whole process to fail.  There are work
arounds, and there's now a one line patch.  This would mean a
completely mainstream input file in mainstream notation can be
retuned, and maybe sound better.

(There are still problems with pitch bends.  Neither patch addresses
that.  Switching to MIDI Tuning Standard real time messages looks
easy.  But allowing users to choose the retuning method would require
a minimal amount of work, that would then sit alongside all the other
open issues for years waiting to be attended to.)

I'm generally happy to stay out of the development loop and work
around limitations.  I don't think most people are aware how good the
current microtonal support is.  I have a simple patch for something
that looks like a bug.  It would be nice to get a version number for
it being suppressed that I can submit a snippet against.

                    Graham