Beam collision push

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Beam collision push
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 08:11:00 -0500

Hey all,

Han Wen - I saw that you pushed your beam collision work to master branch.

I truly feel that this is premature and I urge you to undo it.  The reason I
have not pushed my patch yet is because I think more people need to chime in.
This type of collision avoidance is very important to my current work as a
composer, and the version that you pushed will not be able to correctly account
for several types of collisions, as you saw in the files that I sent out to the
list (unless you have modified it in a way of which I'm not aware), not least
of which are the type that Neil sent out to the list and that my patch
currently deals with.

Collision avoidance is a brute-force manipulation of the beam that is
difficulty to justify in quanting, which should deal with a discrete range of
limited possibilities.  It forces one into a cycle where one has to guess the
appropriate region size to catch large collisions and recompile to see if one
was right.  In doing so, the region size increase invariably increases the time
of compilation.  It also does not allow for fine tuning of beam collisions on a
grob-by-grob basis, which you see in action in the response I sent out to Neil.

Please, again, I urge you to undo this before people start building on it.  I
do not believe that it is a tractable long-term solution, and I feel that
pushing this early kills any dialogue on a better way of going about this.

~Mike