Re: Microtonal key signatures fix

From: Graham Breed
Subject: Re: Microtonal key signatures fix
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 14:10:38 +0400

Benkő Pál <address@hidden> wrote:

> huh, I understand less and less.  I'll try this example;
> my meantone tests are not crashing, they produce
> correct MIDI (at least it sounds correct - I didn't think
> MIDI has a concept of key signature); the signature
> is missing from the score, though.

If the key signature is missing from the score, it suggests
the scale it's based on wasn't scaled to give the new
tuning.  So the correct alteration doesn't exist.

Yes, there's a key signature in MIDI.  It looks something
like FF5902FF for F major (1 flat) or FF590201 for G major
(1 sharp).

> Graham sent me an example, but 2.13.51 couldn't
> compile it.  I want to work on that too.

That's a shame.  I'm way behind in my versions, but I
didn't think anything that was working was going to break.

This code for key signatures has always worked:

        \set Staff.keySignature = #(scale-key-sig '((6 .
        -1/2)) tuning)

Without the function, something like

        \set Staff.keySignature = #'((6 . -12/31))

It avoids trying to send the key signature to MIDI.

                       Graham