Re: shortened flags affair, part 7 - downstem full-length 64th and 128th

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: shortened flags affair, part 7 - downstem full-length 64th and 128th flags
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 13:14:33 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2011 1:01 PM

2011/3/18 Phil Holmes <address@hidden>:
> Janek,
>
> I prefer the newer ones,

Glad to hear this!

> although I doubt I'll use them too often in real music!

> Me too :)

> However, I was looking at my Gardner Read and think that, strictly, all > the > flag shapes are a little wrong according to his "rules". The quaver flag > is > too short, and the shorter note flags don't join the stem properly. To > be > honest I'm not too bothered, but wondered what other people think. > Please
> see the attached scan from his book, which is a few excerpts from pages
> stuck together.

Thanks for providing this example.
In my opinion it's a matter of taste and font design. Read describes
how the flags that he is "used to" look, but i'd say that we are free
to make our own design decisions, as long as they are consistent and
don't look too strange.
I prefer our Feta font.

thanks,
Janek

In general I do agree with your approach of making our own decisions based on what's published, rather than just following it. However, I do think the current flags are inconsistent if you compare the up-stem quaver with the semi-quaver. The quaver's flag stops at the top of the notehead, whereas the semi-quaver (and all the shorter notes) runs down to the middle of the notehead or below. I think it might be better if the quaver's flag was about 1/2 a space longer?

--
Phil Holmes