Re: Event listener to extract (some) music events. (issue4373046)

From: percival . music . ca
Subject: Re: Event listener to extract (some) music events. (issue4373046)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:30:55 +0000

On 2011/04/18 14:09:52, hanwenn wrote:
On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 4:49 AM,  <mailto:address@hidden>
wrote:

I cant see any changes. Did you upload?

I think so... when I click on "diff from patchset 4", I see the changes
I made 6 hours ago.

> Of course different researchers may want to examine different
aspects of
> the output; the documentation will address that, and once they've
> modified event-listener.ly to their liking, they might send patches
back
> to us. &nbsp;The important thing IMO is to have the basic framework
there, so
> that researchers know that it's possible (and ideally how to get
> started).

FWIW, it looks as if you're mostly interested in this at the
musical-semantic level.

Yes.

In that case, it would probably be cleaner to
hook into the event listener framework directly, without having an
engraver in between.  The Scheme engraver mechanism is really for
creating formatted output rather than siphoning off data.

I have no clue how to do this?  Is this simple to do with a .ly file?  I
definitely don't want to mess with C++ code or SCM files.

Quite apart from my ignorance of those areas, I want to let this serve
as an example for other people interested in extracting info from
lilypond.  It's much easier to work on a .ly file which you just
\include in your main file, rather than modifying scm files in the
lilypond share dir, or changing C++ code and then recompiling.

> I like small, focused patches. &nbsp;Documentation comes after the
code is
> pushed.

it's hard to do a sensible code review if I can't see what the code is
meant for.

Well, the easiest way to see what it's for is just to run the regtest
right now; it will spam messages like

0.000   note     57       4   p-c 2 12
0.000   dynamic  f
0.250   note     62       4   p-c 7 12
0.500   note     66       8   p-c 9 12
0.625   note     69       8   p-c 14 12
0.750   rest     0        4

to the console.  That info can be easily read into python using
open("foo.notes").readline(); line.split(), and then you can do whatever
you want with it.

But ok, I'll write the docs now.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4373046/