Re: Fix error messages in website build (issue4428077)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Fix error messages in website build (issue4428077)
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 17:29:27 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2011 4:20 PM

good start!  I'm not certain about the location of the text file (having
it inside scripts/ seems a bit weird), but the framework is definitely
there.

Agreed. In the final analysis, I couldn't find a better place than to simply stick it next to the script file that uses it. If it was my source directory, I'd probably create a new directory off git or git/build and call it build_conf.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4428077/diff/1/scripts/build/extract_texi_filenames.py
File scripts/build/extract_texi_filenames.py (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/4428077/diff/1/scripts/build/extract_texi_filenames.py#newcode65
scripts/build/extract_texi_filenames.py:65: known_missing_files = ''
could this be a list instead of a string?

I thought about whether a string was the _best_ solution, but decided that using a read() and find() was simplest and probably quickest.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4428077/diff/1/scripts/build/extract_texi_filenames.py#newcode87
scripts/build/extract_texi_filenames.py:87: known_missing_files_file = a
known_missing_files.append(a)

Again, I'm assuming that this is changing from a simple string for the filename to a list? Strikes me we don't want lots of lists of missing files we can pass to the script - that'll just get confusing - I'd suggest just using a single file for any call.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4428077/diff/1/scripts/build/extract_texi_filenames.py#newcode94
scripts/build/extract_texi_filenames.py:94: missing_files = open
(known_missing_files_file, 'r')
missing_Files = open(...).readlines()

then you don't need the next two lines.

So with:

string = open("filename").read()

You don't need the close() ?

http://codereview.appspot.com/4428077/diff/1/scripts/build/extract_texi_filenames.py#newcode121
scripts/build/extract_texi_filenames.py:121: if known_missing_files.find
(include_name) == -1:
if include_name in known_missing_files:

Depending on whether we do use lists...

http://codereview.appspot.com/4428077/