Re: Close or document the stretchability=0 backdoor?

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Close or document the stretchability=0 backdoor?
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 21:52:22 -0700

On Tue, 31 May 2011 01:14:45 -0700, Joe Neeman <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Keith OHara <address@hidden> wrote:
If the flexible-vertical-spacing variable 'stretchability is defined, but
has value 0.0, then
a) the staves will not stretch to fill extra space
 b) the staves will not compress, making basic-distance serve as
minimum-distance
 c) some people expect padding to be ignored, per Carl's comment on issue
1654

What is stretchability = 0 supposed to do ?

I don't think it was originally "supposed" to do anything, but it turned out
to be a useful way to force a fixed spacing. With this application in mind,
I think (b) and (c) are both appropriate, and that the distance should be
the maximum of basic-distance and minimum-distance.

The documentation says that compressibility is the difference between
basic-distance
and minimum-distance.  This made sense to me because I figured we wanted
compressibility
to be different than stretchability, similarly to how glue works in TeX.

The code would be a lot simpler if it matched the current documentation, because
the docs describe the default setup in current code, before the tests for
stretchability
take effect.

I'll make sure that there are simple ways to get (b) and (c) without the
stretchability=0
switch.  If all looks good, I'll remove the stretchability==0 special case in
my patch
for issue 1669.