Re: Close or document the stretchability=0 backdoor?

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Close or document the stretchability=0 backdoor?
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 21:39:26 +0000 (UTC)

Keith OHara <k-ohara5a5a <at> oco.net> writes:

> > On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Keith OHara <k-ohara5a5a <at> oco.net>
wrote:
> >> If the flexible-vertical-spacing variable 'stretchability is defined, but
> >> has value 0.0, then
> >> a) the staves will not stretch to fill extra space
> >>  b) the staves will not compress, making basic-distance serve as
> >> minimum-distance
> >>  c) some people expect padding to be ignored, per Carl's comment on issue
> >> 1654

> I'll make sure that there are simple ways to get (b) and (c) without the
> stretchability=0 switch.

Well, the obvious
 b) minimum-distance >= basic-distance  to prevent compression
 c) padding=0 to remove padding
works pretty robustly.

> I'll remove the stretchability==0 special case in my patch for issue 1669.

However, there were some other fixes required to get compressibility working
correctly, so I separated the restoration of independent compressibility into a
separate patch, visible at <http://codereview.appspot.com/4517136/> for the
interested.  I'll raise a tracker report after sleeping on it a while.