Re: Openoffice import?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Openoffice import?
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 15:14:32 +0200

Offlist <URL:http://www.haumacher.de/svg-import/> has been suggested to
me.  The JAR file mentioned in there works for converting lilypond-book
images placed into PDF, extracted with preview.sty, converted with
pdf2svg to SVG to .odg files (OpenOffice Draw Graphics?) as OLE links
into an OpenOffice document from where they will export to scalable PDF
again.  So there is a reasonable hope they might also export to scalable
DOC contents.

However, the export contains strings like

    mimetypeapplication/vnd.oasis.opendocument.graphics

that look suspiciously like something that would not be regarded as
savory when looked at by Microsoft Word.

It is probably possible to make this part of a processing pipeline
eventually ending in DOC files processable my Microsoft Office, but
whether it will actually work in the context "give me a DOC file to feed
into my DTP system" is quite dubious.  It's actually aggravating that
people use DOC as an interchange format, something which it never was
designed for.