Re: No more releases: savannah sometimes does not like git fetch --depth

From: Peter Chubb
Subject: Re: No more releases: savannah sometimes does not like git fetch --depth
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 21:30:23 +1000

>>>>> "Graham" == Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:

Graham> I would like to highlight this bug:
Graham> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1615

Graham> After releasing 2.14.0 and 2.15.0, I deleted my GUB download/
Graham> directory -- I thought it would be good to test that all the
Graham> automatic download links were still valid, the whole system
Graham> would work from scratch, etc.

Hmmm.  I did a
git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git lilypond
cd lilypond
sh ./autogen.sh
make -j4

and it all worked fine.  The fetch took a few minutes --- from here I
see only about 300-500KiB/s and there are almost 80MiB to fetch.

Using --depth=1 seems to cause the fetch to hang, though.

Playing with local clones, depth=1 fetches around 49MiB so it really
doesn't save you that much.  My suggestion is to clone the whole repository.

Also if you already have a local repos, you can use it as a reference
source.

git clone --reference local-copy-of-lily-source --
git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git new-lily

Graham> My attempt to build lilypond failed.  I have tried it half a
Graham> dozen times, letting it idle for 5-10 minutes before
Graham> cancelling the attempt and starting it again.  Every attempt
Graham> fails.

Graham> As per comment #1: mkdir new-lilypond-dir cd new-lilypond-dir
Graham> git init git config core.bare false git remote add -t master
Graham> origin git://git.sv.gfnu.org/lilypond.git git fetch --depth 1

Graham> fails every time.  Until this is fixed, *** I CANNOT MAKE ANY
Graham> MORE LILYPOND RELEASES. ***

Graham> Past discussion suggests that this is a network-specific bug
Graham> or something, which absolutely sucks for debugging.
Graham> Unfortunately my desktop is only accessible through 2 (yes,
Graham> literally two!)  intermediate ssh servers.  But I am hoping
Graham> that somebody out there with a server can reproduce this
Graham> problem, and then we can hand out ssh accounts to
Graham> knowledgeable git people who can look at this.

Graham> Cheers, - Graham