Doc: ugly boxes

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Doc: ugly boxes
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 13:07:29 +0100

I'm continuing to look at the build system, and studying the output of make doc see lots of the following:

Overfull \hbox (plus some other  stuff)

Looking on the web for what this means, I found http://docs.freebsd.org/info/texinfo/texinfo.info.Overfull_hboxes.html which says:

"TeX is sometimes unable to typeset a line without extending it into the right margin."... "unless told otherwise, TeX will print a large, ugly, black rectangle beside the line that contains the overfull hbox."

There are quite a few of these in, say, the 2.14 NR - see the PDF page 33 and 37 for example. I don't think these should be there (although I had previously assumed they were change bars).

It would seem there are 2 options: either fix the text/diagram sizes, or compile as suggested in the page above:

"To prevent such a monstrosity from marring your final printout, write the following in the beginning of the Texinfo file on a line of its own, before the address@hidden' command:"

    @finalout

Could someone from the documentation team confirm that the bars are unintended and have a think about what should be done?

--
Phil Holmes
Bug Squad