Re: Doc: ugly boxes

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Doc: ugly boxes
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 14:29:07 +0100

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 01:07:29PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> There are quite a few of these in, say, the 2.14 NR - see the PDF
> page 33 and 37 for example.  I don't think these should be there
> (although I had previously assumed they were change bars).

Those boxes on page 33 are caused from spaces on the right side of
text in the snippets.  Trailing whitespace is not useful and
ideally we should strip them in make-lsr.py
Please feel free to add an issue for that, or try tackling it
yourself.  :)
(actually, regardless of your build system work, it might be good
if you took over LSR import, so please take a look at the CG
chapter on Issues)

The boxes on page 37 are caused from

> It would seem there are 2 options: either fix the text/diagram
> sizes, or compile as suggested in the page above:
>
> "To prevent such a monstrosity from marring your final printout,
> write the following in the beginning of the Texinfo file on a line
> of its own, before the address@hidden' command:"
>
>     @finalout

I remember removing this at some point in the last two years -- if
we have the problem, let's see it.  But I'm not totally committed
to that decision.  If you prefer to add it back in to all the
manuals, I'm fine with that.

I suppose we could even use @finalout in the stable docs, but not
in the unstable docs.  That would involve some trickiness with
macros... it's one of those things that might take me 5 minutes,
but would probably take me 30 minutes, and could well take anybody
else 5 hours.

A lot depends on where your interests lie, but hopefully you have
enough info to decide (or at least, to ask for more details about
any of these options).