Re: Patch: small reduction in output from make doc

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Patch: small reduction in output from make doc
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:22:14 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:42 PM

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 02:19:23PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
The attached patch reduces the output from make doc slightly and
produces some new log files instead.  Graham - could you push,
please?  (I have done at least one make doc using it, with no
problems).

Are you sure that it creates *new* log files, instead of
overwriting the existing .log file?  I mean, don't we have a rule
for .ly -> .log now?

How would you feel about making the created file .midi.log ?

(or is the first part of the filename guaranteed to be unique for
some reason, or at least contain "midi" already?  that might be
the case, but it's not obvious from the patch and my shaky
knowledge of the build system)

It creates new logfiles, since there is no existing logfile. It uses the name of the .ly file to generate the logfile name. So - there is a file called key-initial.ly. Part of the build process calls lily to process that, and since it has a \midi{} block, a file called key-initial.midi is produced. Currently the Lily output is sent to the terminal I've added:

$*.log 2>&1

to the end of the call. > redirects output. $*.log expands to filename.log (in this case key-initial.log - this expansion is a make feature). 2>&1 sends error and normal output to the same place.

You might also like to know that the next step in the build process is to call midi2ly on the midi file to create key-initial-midi.ly. More on this later.

--
Phil Holmes