Re: Kievan square notation in LilyPond

From: Aleksandr Andreev
Subject: Re: Kievan square notation in LilyPond
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:02:29 -0400

James wrote:

> It's crude (but effective), you either sym link the font dirs to point to the
> Gonville stuff (which is supplied via a zip/tgz file that you extract in
> situ) or as in the case of windows and mac you rename the old font dir and
> move the goneville one in its place.

This sounds like a hack, IIUC. What we'd like to do is to get Kievan
added to LilyPond permanently (obviously, if the development team is
in support of the idea). The rationale behind this is twofold: first,
there are more and more people typesetting chant and more and more of
them are doing it in LilyPond. LilyPond, after all, has the particular
advantages of being flexible enough to support chant and being the
only software affordable for most churches.

Second, we're planning on releasing an entire library of chant online
(in a format similar to the Mutopia project). It will all be in
LilyPond and a good chunk of it will be in Kievan notation.

It would be nice if the end user could use the source files on our
site more or less out of the box.

So I think the strategy I will pursue is to add the necessary glyphs to Feta.

Thanks for the feedback,

Aleks